Pork By the James Seriously Smokin’ Barbeque Competition
September 9th @ 5:00 am – 8:00 pm
Applications coming soon!
Pork By the JamesSeriously Smokin’ Barbeque Competition
Join us on the bank of the James River on Saturday, September 9, 2017 in downtown Buchanan for a seriously good time.
This event welcomes Barbeque Chefs to put their grilling skills to the test as teams participate in Buchanan’s second annual cooking competition. Prizes include; Judges Choice First Place $500, Second Place $250 and Third Place $100. The People’s Choice Award is $50 plus Trophy.
Competitors Need to Bring:
- Cooking equipment and supplies
- Food and Favorite Beverage for You and Your Team
- Canopy Tent
- Please note; Meat is provided as part of your registration packet. Meat will consist of 6 Pork Butts, each approximately weighing 8 pounds. This meat may be picked up on Friday evening. This meat will be used for your Judges sample as well as the Public Sampling portion of this event.
All dishes must be cooked on-site. Contestants must provide all their own equipment. Charcoal and gas grills/smokers are welcome. You may not use electric grill or open pit.
Applications and Rules will be in place soon. Contact us with questions regarding the competition at (540) 254-1212 x4.
Buchanan offers Dry Camping for participants who wish, as well as a local hotel and several Inns for your overnight accommodations.
- The Buchanan Pork By the James Seriously Smokin’ Barbeque Competition which will take place on the Buchanan Town Park located at 485 Lowe Street. The Park is adjacent to the scenic James River.
- Teams will be cooking at their sites throughout the day.
- Judging begins at 4:00 pm all entries are to be delivered to the Judges Stand
- Gates Open to the Public at 5:00 pm for sampling until 7:00 pm
- Live Music on the Buchanan Town Park with Beer Garden 5:00 pm through 9:00 pm
- Races will finish the Buchanan Tri – Run, Ride & River Race finishing on the Buchanan Town Park
- Awards Ceremony at 7:30 pm with the announcement of the Judges Award and the People’s Choice Award
All dishes must be cooked on-site. Contestants must provide all their own equipment. Charcoal and gas grills/smokers are welcome. You may not use electric grill or open pit. Garnish for Barbeque is optional and is limited to green leaf lettuce.
Contact us with questions regarding the competition or sponsorship opportunities at (540) 254-1212
If you’ve been wondering how to become involved with the exciting Pork By the James Barbeque Competition, here’s your chance! There are many positions to fill and there’s sure to be one just perfect for you. As a volunteer, you will have a huge impact on the enjoyment of all those attending the festival and can take pride in knowing that you’re a part of an incredible experience at the Buchanan Town Park to benefit the Buchanan Area Back Pack Buddy Programs.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Town of Buchanan Downtown Revitalization Program at (540) 254-1212 x 4